Monday, November 14, 2005

Now that's power!

It's 130am, Mummy has just finished her chores and is slowly drifting off to sleep. Daddy has been asleep half an hour ago as he is not feeling well. I slowly open my eyes, the room swims into focus. I yawn and stretch and rub my eyes. In the darkness i reach for Todo, my little giraffe friend. I love Todo, we go back a long way - the past 7 months. His button nose nuzzles comfortingly into my palm. i seek out his tiny ears and start sucking on them disconsolately; he says nothing. I take him by his neck and start banging him against my mattress; his silence is reassuring. im bored and not particularly sleepy, having slept early tonight.
I let out a plaintive whimper and look over the bars of my cot. No one hears me. Not getting the response i am looking for, i raise the volume a little. Mummy stirs but goes back to sleep. Daddy is knocked out cold. Alrighty then, this calls for drastic measures.
i start yelling at the top of my voice for some attention. Startled, Mummy and Daddy both jump out of bed and frantically try to soothe me. Daddy informs me over and over again that he's here. "I know ure here u doofus, but wat's the use of u being here if you're not going to carry me??" I wail louder still.
Daddy finally carries me while Mummy sings a lullaby. As i watch their tousled hair and red rimmed, sleep deprived eyes, it dawns upon me that one little cry from me brings two grownups to my beck and call.
As they lay me back in my cot in the hopes of returning to slumberland, a devious thought creeps into my head. Shall i taunt my parents for awhile? After all, if i dont sleep, nobody sleeps! So i wait just a little while for them to almost drift back to sleep before letting out a bone shaking, ear piercing scream. I stifle a giggle as i watch them scurry out of bed and go through the usual process of cradling, rocking and singing to me again. My heart goes out to them, the poor sorry souls...but a baby needs some entertainment from time to time right?
I am finally tired from my late nite antics and decide to go back to sleep. Mummy has fallen asleep leaning on my bed while singing to me. Clutching Todo tightly i turn to pat Mummy's head thinking...i had made this happen. Me, a tiny 70cm tall person can actually summon two grownups from their bed to tend to my needs. Now that's what i call power...how i relish it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you mischievious little imp...But..it sure feels good yah?!