Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Nature vs Nuture

Frankly I am sick and tired of people slamming their opinions down on me, proclaiming that I am anti-social and unfriendly, and condemming me to having a hard time fitting in in the future. This barrage of accusations stems from the fact that i scream bloody murder whenever someone else, other than Mummy or Daddy, try to pick me up. I mean, what is so wrong about that? Do you go around welcoming any Tom, Dick or Harry with open arms when they come up to you and try to hug or kiss you? No rite? You'll probably go "molest!" or "brokeback mountain!!" or simply "siao ah?!". Same goes for me, I am just protecting myself and I am proud to say that I already have keen discerning powers at a tender age of 11mths.

My detractors shake their heads and go "tsk tsk" when I get all flustered and wail whenever Mummy disappears from my sight. Hey, Im responsible for Mummy's wellbeing just as she is responsible for mine! Anything can happen to her if she disappears and is all alone! She could have fallen over or tripped and poked her eye on a rock on the floor, or scalded herself with hot water or jammed her fingers in the electric socket or ate something yucky off
the floor...the nightmares are endless! So why can't I let out wails of pure frustration because I have yet to learn the intricacies of transportation, that I can troop off to look for her and save her from a certain disaster?

These cynics keep telling Mummy that she should bring me out more often, so that I can get used to strangers and not be so insecure. Me??? Insecure? Let me emphasize that I am the most secure little person on this earth. All my needs are met and my Mummy and Daddy are always around if I need them, and yet they give me enough space to grow and assert my independence. And I do get to go out ALOT...What more can a baby ask for?

I have friends who have certain personality traits that is declared wrong or bad by the general public. Some of them are reserved, boisterous, fussy, temperamental, timid; in fact my own cousin embodies a few of these traits. I watch him get chastised week after week because of these outward expressions of frustration. Hey give the guy a break! He may just have strong opinions about his wants and may perceive things in a different way but has not deconstructed the mind-boggling language of the adults to tell them his desires!
And wasnt Beethoven temperamental too? How come no one slings HIM with mud?

I agree that certain undesirable character traits have to be nutured, like being a brat, rudeness or being uncaring. But let's not change what nature has intended us to be, let us develop our personalities as we are meant to develop. Perhaps I will shun strangers all my life, perhaps I wont. Im proud of being me and I know so are Mummy and Daddy. So there!

8 comments:

mother hen said...

Terelle that bad meh? I don't remember seeing her that way. Besides, babies at this age take time to get used to strangers even in the house. Of course, they cry when they don't see somebody familiar in their sight. I thot tat's normal?

de mighty shiva said...

terelle ... jus bite them w your two teeth ... (two rite??) :)

Anonymous said...

You must learn to take comments with a pinch of salt. Such comments are from people who like myself haven't had a kid with no intention to either or those who like someone from your grandpa generation would most probably say "I was thrown in a canal to learn how to swim, under such extreme conditions...I turned out fine,didn't I?" So wats the big deal.
Yr frustration is from concern over someone precious but learn this now, the world ain't about jus yourself and your little family. Make some effort, come out alittle more..Caution is good while not taken to the extremes...Not everyone out there is out to hurt you!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, in the light of the recent case of the 2-year old little girl who was murdered by her "much-trusted" step father, I wonder how much truth is there left in that statement : Not everyone out there is out to hurt you. It really is a safer path to reject strangers till a more-discerning age, than to be "friendly" and welcome everyone with open-arms all the time.
I so agree that in many cases, we should take the comments of the older-generation with a pinch of salt, but seriously, it really doesn't take a genius to know that times have changed and we swim in proper swimming pools now rather than in canels. This also brings me to the point that maybe for those of us out there who have not gone through a particular experience, should really hold back our "judgemental" comments and statements.
While reading the blog entry, I didn't recall getting the sense that little Terelle and her mummy were proclaiming that the world is only about their little family...and how much do you know about them to say they should come out a little more?? I pretty sure that you don't get bombarded with "judgemental" statements about babies all the time as they do, so it's really easy to fire off cliche statements like "Take it with a pince of salt". Too many pinces of salt is still bad for health...
Strange world we live in these days when people visit blogs and preaches learning lessons to others when they have not experienced the same and know absolutely nothing....

Anonymous said...

my question to you is....then why have a blog when you are to get so defensive on comments made by others...turn this function if you do not want to hear what others have to say.

Anonymous said...

yiyi dye her hair darker liao...dun scared of me already ok?

Sweetheart why dun you jus think of things this way, such comments are stemmed from the person's desire to be close to you. It's much like sour grapes?! But all in goodwill....so dun let it get to you....

sportycarelle said...

Hey hey no fighting on my blog!!

Dear Anonymous, my blog is used to share parts of my life with people...everyone is welcome to leave their comments, just be nice about it and not be judgemental....

btw i did not publish the other anonymous comment! i stand by what i say and am not afraid of leaving my name.

de mighty shiva said...

wow lao bb terelle so fierce i scare ... terelle i think this is ur most talked-abt blog :)