Saturday, April 03, 2010

My maiden modelling journey

One day, while my parents were shopping for some new tees for me at FOX, the manager asked them if they were interested in submitting my pic, since they were conducting a nationwide search for kid models for their Spring/Summer Fashion Show.

Mummy and Daddy thought it would be fun so they submitted my pic just for kicks.

We didnt realise that it was quite a big deal until much later when we saw magazine adverts, flyers, postcards and even roadshows scouting for potential kid models.

Excerpt from the Young Parents Mag


To our surprise, I got called up for an audition which was held at United Square during the march school holidays.


There were almost 200 kids at the audition and i was pretty overwhelmed. Mummy thought i was going to bawl at the start cos i clung on to her and was hesitant going into the holding area for the kids.

She said that it was alright and that we could go home if i was unwilling to take part but i was determined to overcome my fear so i went in by myself.


Here we are signing in



Hoards of excited kids and their parents


Just before mummy had to leave me and go outside the barricade


All by myself in the holding area


My family!

Daddy wasnt around cos he had to work


As it turned out, it was not so bad after all! All i had to do was take a slow walk down the short runway, wave at the judges and walk back.


Easy peasy!

Posing in front of the judges


Mummy was so proud of me!


Of course i got heaps of praise from my family for being so brave but Mummy secretly thought i was rather robotic during the catwalk and i had a totally wooden expression plastered on my face.


So we thought my modelling experience would end there and then. Moreover, there were many other kids there that day who were so confident and poised as they strutted down the runway. Confirm no chance for me!


Nevertheless it was good fun, and my confidence was bolstered.

I even made some new friends at the audition!

Not forgetting my little brother!


A couple of days later, Mummy's jaw dropped when she received an email informing her that i had actually been selected as one of the kids for the actual Spring/Summer Fashion show at Paragon!


And so we went for a fitting a week before the actual show.

My first outfit


And the second change



Finally it was the day of the Fashion Show!


All of us were up bright and early and we headed down to Paragon for the rehearsal.

Model and baby brother

Baby copying my swanky moves on the runway



The stylist coaching us on how to work the runway


I was the youngest and the tiniest!



Baby watching me rehearse and playing with his dinos at the same time


Oops...he's getting bored and sleepy!


And then we were off to do our hair and makeup!


My 1st time in a makeup artist's chair!




Getting brushed...



...and painted



Voila! All done!



Next up on the agenda - Hair!



The nice hairdresser uncle gave me pretty curls



Mummy loves the retro curls!



Really suits the 70s bohemian Woodstock theme!



Making more new friends

It was great fun chatting and playing with them while we waited for our turns


At last it was 3pm and we were all set to go!



Peace and Love



The super long runway in its full glory



My clothes all hung out for me backstage



A bit stoned out and grouchy from lack of sleep


Its really tough being a model!!



Peeking out at my family from backstage




I took this pic by myself just before we set off on the runway!


And then the show began!






Mummy was extremely proud of me because i didnt balk nor bawl despite doing this for the very 1st time and being watched by crowds of people.


It was a milestone for me cos she knew i would typically hide behind her shyly whenever i encountered any strangers or new situations.




Aunty Mandy, Mummy's good friend and also my biggest fan




And of course my entire clan, who came down to support


This has been a truly eye opening experience for me and Mummy attests that my confidence has really sky rocketed!


She is very happy that i no longer hide behind her all the time.


And if this is my 1st and last stint as a model, at least something good came out of it! ;)

1 comment:

storm said...

wow, terelle! you look so pretty & stylo mylo! what a brave little girl you are! looks like you have your mummy's beauty and style DNA!