Thursday, October 01, 2009

HFMD again!!

Daddy left on a biz trip last night and i cried buckets as he left the house. I was so upset that i couldnt stop wailing and even cried myself to sleep.

This morning, i woke up complaining of dizziness and even vomitted once. Mummy thought i simply had a rough night and even tried to cajole me to go to school (?!!)

She finally relented when i vomitted again and started to develop a fever. I also could not stomach anything, which was RARE as i usually had milk and cornflakes, followed by bread and cheese or bananas or wathever i could lay my hands on...for breakfast.

And so we set off for the doctor's all the same, just to get me checked out. Mummy didnt think it was anything serious though, probably just a minor stomach bug that would clear within a day or so.

After a check by the doctor, i was diagnosed to be suffering from a viral infection and i was to be given some med and ordered lotsa rest. However while we were waiting for my medicine, Mummy noticed some red spots on my hands and feet.

Her worst fears were confirmed when a 2nd check by the doctor verified that i had contracted the dreaded HFMD.

What?? HFMD again?! But but what about my Children's Day Carnival in school tomorrow??

I could literally see alarm bells ringing in Mummy's head, cos the last time i was down with HFMD, things were really bad. I couldnt eat anything at all (Mummy had to freeze sugar cane juice for me to suck), had a raging fever that wouldnt abate and basically cried hysterically almost the entire day. (I was only 18mths old then)

What more so now that there's Baby in the house, im sure she was terribly afraid that i would have had already infected him with it.

Once we reached home, i was isolated in Mummy's room and Baby was confined downstairs. Over the next 4 days, i spent all my time within these 4 walls, and i almost went out of my mind.


Bored out of my skull

Thankfully, my fever subsided within a day and my voracious appetite was back to normal by nightfall.

I was begging Mummy to let me go to school the next day cos there was a huge carnival planned for us but she kept saying that i was still unwell and that i would pass the germs to my friends.

But i feel ok!! I could eat and sleep and the 2 puny ulcers in my mouth didnt bother me at all.

Alas, Mummy wouldnt waver and so i was imprisoned in her room for the next few days, even though i felt perfectly fine. The only signs of HFMD were faint spots on my feet and one spot on my hand.

I was sooooo disappointed to miss the carnival in school. Hmph!

Mummy thought the worst was over on the 5th day and i was allowed back downstairs. However, that day Baby Bone came down with a high fever.

Sigh...so i did infect him after all.

So much for imprisoning me!!!

Here he is at the doc's office

No comments: